Bored, so creating a meme. May it flourish through many a journal. All the people I’ve lived with for more than a week in a house I was officially living in (i.e not student halls, a hostel or somebody’s sofa):
1. Matt – Tall illustrator, drummer, good friend and longest-serving on this list by about a year. Genuinely great guy.
2. Tim – Most sensible person in the house by a long way and got some stick for it. Nice chap though.
3. Eddy – Local celebrity and student journalist, now music industry chancer. Always has a good one.
4. Dan – De-facto leader of the house, artist and musician. Been through some hard times but I’m glad to say seems to be on track now.
5. Jamie – Moved into our kitchen for a month in 2000. The Reynolds is now in the seriously decent Klaxons.
6. Lee – Wannabe Jim Morrison egotist, appeared in Dan’s room and hung around a bit too long.
7. Danny (Madskilz) – Another overstaying house guest, but a good one. Shy, retiring Drum & Bass promoter.
8. Alex – Drug-crazy battery-powered compulsive lying delinquent who appeared one day, then disappeared another. A good kid all-in-all.
9. John – Film-making local drug dealer, former buddhist monk, least stereotypical gay man in memory. In Brighton now.
10. Sam – Crack-taking furious heavily built short guy who smashed up the place because it was untidy. Utter cunt.
11. Ross – From Belfast, what we at the time called a ‘townie’ but not a bad guy really. Didn’t really ‘get it’ though.
12. Brian – Ross’s friend from Columbia. Kept himself very much to himself.
13. Hamish – Kiwi reprobate, later homeless drunkard, now respected schoolteacher. Solid chap.
14. Bea – Mature 18-year old Kiwi girl, Hamish’s girlfriend at the time. Thought she was going to die.
15. Bob – Little pixie guy from Athens, Georgia. Former clown, pre-school teacher and professional drinker. In Ireland now for a detox.
16. Jacques – Prissy obsessive French guy with mental problems and a temper. Complete twat who ruined the house for us.
17. Russ – Apparently only other English guy in Zizkov. Good friend, drunkard, now back in UK, I think.
18. Hanna – Vibrant Finnish girl stayed with us for a very hazy summer. Now back in Helsinki.
19. Jan – Good friend, stayed in out house over Christmas & New Year, I stayed in his house last month.
20. Lara – Jan’s Canadian girlfriend, back in Canada now becoming a teacher.
21. Miriam – Norwegian art student, the more sensible but less active one. Back in Prague for a bit now and still cool as fuck.
22. Birte – More than slightly melodramatic Norwegian photography student, also back now and good to see again.
23. Ivana – Effervescent Croatian former girlfriend of Russ. Was a dancer, then a photojournalist, now studying to be a human rights lawyer.
24. Martin – I lodged at his house. A Czech guy who’d lived alone for too long and pretty strange for it.
25. Brian – The other lodger, American conspiracy theorist with a twitch, he kind of scared me.
26. Amalia – Slovak girl, bit of a star, chambermaid and waitress. Now in the USA.
27. Natalia – Slovak girl, Amalia’s friend, more steady but cool. Also in USA now.
28. Andy – English jack-the-lad who turned out to be a wanted criminal. A bit too much, but got on with me generally.
29. Ramon – Spanish chamberman. Didn’t understand how to communicate with men and groped girls at clubs. A bit weird.
30. Liam – Cool painter / decorator from Ipswich, decent guy all-in-all.
31. Yann – Very quiet Frenchman, hardly knew he was there. Seemed pleasant, though.
32. Terrance – From New York, English teacher.
33. Keith – From Londonderry, English teacher.
So that would make:
And by nationality:
Northern Irish: 2